Thursday, August 16, 2012

New Radicals: You Get What You Give


New Radicals: You Get What You Give
Another guy crying into a microphone. We are in the 90s with this song. All joking aside, this is a very cool and fun song. Given some of the shit to come out of the 90s, this song was breath of fresh air. It is an easy going song with the exception of a certain portion at the end. Given the state of music today, I'll take this stuff over most of the techno/auto-tune crap.
You know it is the 90s with the "N" being backwards.  
-Is that Natalija Nogulich (Admiral Nechayev) as the rich woman that gets kidnapped?
-Why are they hijacking a mall and kidnapping rich folks? Is this a precursor to Occupy Wall Street?
-These people predate hipsters, so they're not as annoying.
I always got a kick out of the last portion of the song because it doesn't have nothing to do with the rest of the song. From Wiki, (("Health insurance, rip-off lying
FDA, big bankers buying
Fake computer crashes dining
Cloning while they're multiplying
Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson,
Courtney Love and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes, run to your mansions
Come around, we'll kick your ass in." ))
I always laugh at the section because what does the first half have to do with Courtney Love and Marilyn Manson? Allegedly, the lead singer wrote that as a test or joke to see if people would notice the Manson/Love stuff and ignore the other stuff. (Did I mention this predates the Hipster movement?) I am not sure I am completely buying it. It sounds a bit pretentious.
And, Manson's reaction to the song is best part. From Wiki, ((Marilyn Manson commented that he was "not mad he said he'd kick my ass, I just don't want to be used in the same sentence as Courtney Love.... I'll crack his [Alexander's] skull open if I see him. ))
No one wants to be lumped in with Courtney Love.
And, yes Glee covered this song for third season.


No comments:

 
Blog Information Profile for Semaj47